Saturday, January 7, 2012

Coolest Car Ever...

I really like Mustangs.  I think they're pretty awesome.  I talk about them all the time.  It's to the point now that when I pass one in the car, my friends all look at me expectantly, waiting for some crazy excited reaction or something.  I guess I'm pretty transparent.  Well, I have this savings account that I have been working on for a while, and it has only one rule: money can only be withdrawn in order to 1) pay for grad school, 2) buy an engagement ring, 3) put a down-payment on a house, or 4) buy a blue mustang with racing stripes.  I'll be honest, I know that the first three options are more "responsible", but I've definitely been more excited about the fourth.

This last summer, my financial situation changed a little bit, and due to some other situations, I needed to get a car fast.  I had just paid a big chunk of tuition for my first semester of grad school, so needless to say, I didn't have enough to buy this:


So instead, I ended up with this:

Meet Steve.  Steve is a 1995 Ford Taurus that I found on KSL and bought for $900.  Sometimes when I pass a Mustang in Steve, I feel a little bummed that instead of burning through gears in a sportscar, my cars automatic transmission is struggling to downshift as I go up a hill, or instead of racing stripes, my car has duct tape holding the trunk shut, or instead of a really awesome hood scoop, the back bumper is hanging down where I was rear ended.  The other day I was a little frustrated with my car.  It just didn't seem fair that I was stuck in an old beater that, to quote my buddy Dave, is one of the most ghetto cars ever, but then I remembered that youtube video from my earlier post, and how amazing it is that I own a machine that can carry me from one place to another.  I thought about all of my friends down in Brazil whose lives could be dramatically improved by a car like Steve.  Who am I to complain about my car?  At least I have a car!  And Steve does have some really cool features, like an awesome cd player with a jack to plug in my ipod.  So I am really grateful for Steve, the coolest car ever!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Daniel,

    Look at what the old man drives. Hopefully you still have time.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete